I am now working on my 3rd batch of Kombucha. The above photos are of my 2nd batch. I am trying to get it more fizzy but finding it a little challenging. I truly feel like a mad scientist when doing this! A great deal of trial and error.
filtered water, about 1 gallon
organic black tea
1 Kombucha scoby — click below for the one I purchased from Amazon
2 cups white sugar
large glass container
cloth to cover container
dark space to store for 5-7 days
- I brew 12 small bags of organic black tea. Sometimes I replace a few of the bags with organic green tea as well. I only use glass to steep my tea per the experts directions.
- After the tea finishes steeping I add the 2 cups of sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until completely dissolved.
- I then add the tea and sugar to the large glass container and add about a gallon of filtered water.
- I place the scoby on the top along with any saved liquids. After each batch is complete I save about a 4th of the mixture to add to the next batch for more consistency.
- I place a cloth over the top of the container and store it in the back of my pantry for 5-7 days.